Enjoy this summer superfood salad - it'll leave you bursting with energy
Avocado, quinoa & pomegranate salad
This season we’re celebrating the amazing avocado and sharing this delicious veggie-friendly superfood salad recipe, which is guaranteed to wow the carnivores too.
· 250g butternut squash, chopped into small chunks
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 120g pack tender-stemmed broccoli, cut into small pieces
· 250g pouch cooked quinoa
· small handful coriander, leaves picked and chopped
· small handful mint leaves picked and chopped
· 4 spring onions, finely sliced on an angle
· 50g pomegranate seeds
· A large handful of pine nuts
· 1 small ripe avocado
· juice ½ lemon
· handful sprouts (alfalfa or china rose sprouts are nice) or baby herb leaves
For the dressing
· 1 tbsp tahini
· ½ small ripe avocado, stoned, peeled and roughly chopped
· small handful coriander, leaves picked
· small handful mint, leaves picked
· zest and juice ½ lemon
· 2 tsp clear honey
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with cooking parchment. Tip the butternut squash onto the tray, drizzle with 2 tsp oil and season well. Roast for 20 mins, then push the squash to one end of the tray, add the broccoli to the other end and drizzle with 1 tsp oil. Season and roast for 10 mins more.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put all the ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor, add 1 tbsp water and a pinch of salt. Blitz to make a loose dressing, adding a little more water if necessary.
Squeeze the pouch of quinoa to separate the grains, then tip into a large bowl. Add the herbs, spring onions, pomegranate seeds and pine nuts. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil, season and toss everything together. Add the roasted veg too.
Divide the salad between two plates and drizzle over the dressing. Halve the avocado and remove the stone, then slide a dessertspoon between the skin and flesh to remove it in one piece. Place on a chopping board, rounded side up, and thinly slice. Squeeze over the lemon juice, then slide a knife underneath and lift half the avocado onto each salad. Top with the sprouts and grind over a little pepper. Enjoy!
Image courtesy of Agromonitor Agricultura on Flickr.